Sunday, August 28, 2022

Houston Dash and Washington Spirit battle to 2-2 draw

Photo courtesy of Houston Dash
By Robert H Kelly
Copyright 2022 All Rights Reserved

HOUSTON, TEXAS (August 27, 2022) Trailing by one goal going into added time of the second half, the Houston Dash scored the equalizer for a 2-2 draw against the Washington Spirit at PNC Stadium on Saturday evening. The draw secured one point for the Dash; raising their season record to 8-5-4 (W-L-D) and 29 points for the season. 

Houston struck gold first in the 22nd minute when defender Sophie Schmidt drilled the ball past Spirit goalkeeper Aubrey Kingsbury. The Dash retained the lead into the second half, when Washington scores two goals within four minutes. Forward Ashley Hatch happened to be in the right place, in the 51st and 54th minutes to score the brace. Still trailing at the end of regulation, Michelle Alozie scored her second goal in her Dash career to allow Houston to avoid a loss. 

The defender talked about the goal after the match.

“Yeah, honest, I feel like I kind of blacked out but I do remember (FW Valerie Gauvin) hitting it down and I was kind of just there ready for anything that spat out and thankfully it spat out right next to my foot and I just smashed it low post so I’m just glad it went in. I’m glad that Val was able to get the first contact down and I’m glad the keeper was able to not contain the ball and allow me to get that goal in for the team.”

The Dash will next face Angel City at home on Sunday, September 11, 2022 at PNC Stadium. 





No comments: