Sunday, January 08, 2006

EAST ROLLS PAST WEST IN US ARMY ALL AMERICAN BOWL



Photo by Darla Tamulitis
Story by Robert H. Kelly

Scoring three touchdowns and rushing for 67 yards, Chris Wells lead the East squad to a 27-16 victory over the West squad in the 2006 U.S. Army All American Bowl at San Antonio’s Alamodome.

Wells, a running back from Garland High School in Akron, Ohio, who was named the game’s Most Valuable Player, showed tremendous form and poise that will continue in the fall at Ohio State University.

“We had a good week of practice,” Wells said. “We worked on goal-line a lot and the first time we got the ball today, I think we were in the red-zone pretty quick. We knew what we had to do and we went out and did it.”The East defense set the pace for the game, causing a fumble on the West’s first drive, which lead to the first score of the game for the East.

The East put the game away in the fourth quarter when linebacker Brandon Graham blocked a field goal that was recovered by cornerback Raeshon McNeil and ran back for a touchdown.

“I pointed to my parents in the stands before that field goal,” Brandon Graham said. “I knew I was going to get that block I told coach also that I’m about to go get it. I blew right past the offensive line and got it. I can’t explain that feeling. This is something that I can take with me for the rest of my life.”

Wells, who showed the fans in attendance what they can expect to see from him at Ohio State next fall.

“It’s just a great honor for me to get the MVP,” Wells said. “Just to go out there and accept the trophy was a blast. I mean, I’m going to school at Ohio State next year with Teddy Ginn. This is just incredible.”

Previous recipients of the award include California’s DeShaun Jackson, Ohio State’s Tedy Ginn, Jr., Florida’s Chris Leak and Chris Young of the University of Texas.

No comments: