Sunday, January 29, 2006

Taylor Takes Gold at Four Continents Championship

By Robert H. Kelly

Houston’s Katy Taylor won the gold medal in the ladies event at the 2006 Four Continents Figure Skating Championships at the Broadmoor World Arena in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

The event, which was the final international event leading up to the 2006 Olympic Winter Games in Torino, Italy, was Taylor’s first senior-level international event. She was in second place after the short program and placed second in the free skate with a total score of 164.05.

Japan’s Yukari Nakano, the silver medalist, received a mark of 161.49, while Taylor’s U.S. teammate, Bebe Liang, captured the bronze medal with a score of 159.91.

“I just wanted to go out there and do two good skates, and I did,” said Taylor.

“I was really upset about missing my loop because it is one of my best jumps,” Taylor said. “I felt good going into it. I think I just pre-rotated myself, but I know I wasn’t holding back. I think next time I can get it.”


Twenty-three ladies took part in the free skate, including Christine Zukowski of the United States, who struggled to a score of 131.42 and a 10th-place finish.

It looks like the young Houstonian is on track to making the 2010 Olympic team.

No comments: