Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Astros Acquire Aubrey Huff From Tampa

By Robert H. Kelly

The Astros, in an attempt to boost their record for the second half of the season, acquired outfielder Aubrey Huff from the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Huff, who played his high school ball at Vernon (Ft. Worth) High School and college ball at Vernon College in north Texas and the University of Miami is excited about coming home to play in Texas.

"I'll tell you," Huff said, "I'm very, very excited about Houston. There was a rumor last year about Houston, and I was excited to hear the rumor about it."

Trade rumors had been swirling around Huff for the past couple of seasons. Several clubs reportedly showed interest in him over the last few weeks as well, including the Tigers.

“It's like I've been dangling in front of teams the last three years," he said.
The question is where manager Phil Garner will decide to play him.

"I don't really know what the situation is with who they've got playing well and what have you," said Huff. "I've been playing third base here in Tampa, and this is the first year I've felt really comfortable playing third. I played right field, too, and I really enjoyed playing there."

First base is also an option.

"Whatever it takes to get the best possible lineup on the field is what I'll do," Huff said.

With the Astros clearing looking for anything that will raise them to the level that carried them to the World Series last season, Huff’s addition may be the added punch they need.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THE ASTROS!!! HOPEFULLY THIS WILL BE A GOOD THING FOR THEM!!! GO 'STROS!!!!