Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Briscoe Wins High Jump at Junior Nationals

By Olivia Dodson
Copyright 2008 TexSport Publications

COLUMBUS, OHIO (June 24, 2008) Houston's Shanay Briscoe won the women's high jump at the 2008 USA Junior Track & Field Championships at the Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium at The Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio.

Briscoe tied the stadium record with her clearance of 1.80m/5-10.75 with 2008 Texas state champion Brigetta Barrett (Duncansville, Texas) taking second with a height of 1.77m/5-9.75. Florida state champion Maya Pressley (Coconut Creek, Fla.) was third at the same height.

Briscoe and Barrett each will compete in Poland at the IAAF World Junior Championships.

"I was ready two hours before but with the rain and everything, I just tried to stay up. I was good whenever I came out," said Briscoe. "I didn't jump my best, but I did okay. I'm excited about making the team. I've never been to Poland so it'll be great."

No comments: