Saturday, September 18, 2010

Texas Southern Downs Alabama A&M 32-9 In SWAC Football Action

(TSU's Joseph Anderson rushed for 201 yards and one touchdown against Alabama A&M. Photo by Darla Tamulitis, La Vita Loco Photography, Copyright 2010, All Rights Reserved.)

By Robert H Kelly
Copyright 2010 TexSport Publications

HOUSTON, TEXAS (September 18, 2010) On a muggy and cloudy afternoon in Houston, Texas Southern downed a stubborn Alabama A&M team, 32-9 at HISD’s Delmar Stadium.

The first quarter saw both teams get on the scoreboard via field goals, as neither team was able to generate the offensive punch to get the ball into the end zone on the run or in the air.

TSU kicker Robert Hersh booted in a 24-yard field goal at the 6:54 mark to give the Tigers the first score of the game.

Alabama A&M’s Chance Wilson came back at the 4:37 mark to even the score with a 37-yard field goal

Early in the second quarter, Wilson against scored, giving the Bulldogs a 6-3 lead with 13:27 left.

The Tigers finally found the offensive punch they were looking for as a result of long pass from quarterback Arvell Nelson to receiver Joe Anderson.

That set up a one-yard run by Marcus Wright and a Hersh extra point to give TSU a 10-6 lead at the 3:02 mark.

The Bulldogs pulled within one on Wilson’s third field goal of the afternoon with seven seconds remaining in the half.

Both teams headed to the locker room at halftime with TSU leading by one point; 10-9.

(TSU defensive end Ernest Gilley (90) gets position on Alabama A&M right tackle Anquez Jackson (73) in game action at Delmar Stadium. Photo by Darla Tamulitis, La Vita Loco Photography, Copyright 2010, All Rights Reserved.)

Midway thorough the third quarter, TSU had the Bulldogs backed up to their own goal line, when a quick rush by safety Zack Gallow caught A and M quarterback Deaunte Mason in the end zone for a safety.

In the fourth quarter, the Tigers defense continued to put points on the board when defensive back Derricus Puirdy picked off a Mason pass and ran it in for the score.
Hersh again connected on the extra point to give TSU a 19-9 lead with 11:43 left in the game.

On the ensuing kickoff, a fumble by the Bulldogs was recovered by the Tigers, which gave TSU great field position.

Five plays later, at the 8:47 mark, Nelson connected with James Davis for TSU’s first passing touchdown of the game. Hersh again split the uprights to gave the Tigers a 26-9 lead.

The Bulldogs mounted a long drive, pushing all the way to the Tigers 22-yard line, when two consecutive sacks backed them up to the 35.

On 4th and 23, the Tiger defense put on a vicious rush, forcing Alabama A&M to turn the ball over on their own 38 yard line.

TSU took control of the ball and grinded out a few more yards before Nelson unleashed a long 61-yard pass down the right side line, connecting again with Anderson who ran it in for the final score of the game.

Hersh’s extra point was blocked, making the score 32-9 with 4:08 remaining.

After a few more offensive plays by both teams. That is how it ended; 32-9 in favor of the Tigers.

Offensively, Nelson had a tremendous game, completing 14 of 26 passes for 288 yards and two touchdowns.

Anderson caught seven passes for 201 yards, with the 61-yard reception in the fourth quarter his longest of the afternoon.

Mason went 16 of 27 for 107 yards for the Bulldogs, while Green rushed for 90 yards on 10 carries.

(TSU tailback Marcus Wright (23) breaks through the line on one of his 16 carries against Alabama A&M. Photo by Darla Tamulitis, La Vita Loco Photography, Copyright 2010, All Rights Reserved.)

TSU will now spend the next three weekends on the road. On September 25, they travel to Mobile, Alabama to face Tuskegee University with a 1:00pm start.

They then travel to Montgomery, Alabama to face Alabama State on October 2 and to Alcorn, Mississippi to take on Alcorn State on October 9.

They return home for an October 23 game against Jackson State at HISD’s Butler Stadium.

No comments: