FORT WORTH, TEXAS (March 31, 2008) The No. 22 TCU women’s tennis team won their sixth consecutive match on Sunday with a 5-2 defeat of Wyoming. The Horned Frogs
improved to 13-4 overall and 3-0 in Mountain West Conference play with the win.
“Wyoming fought hard today and it was good to get the win for our seniors,” said
TCU head coach Jefferson Hammond. “We are looking forward to our upcoming trip to Las Vegas.”
In doubles action, Maria Babanova and Nina Munch-Soegaard led off with an 8-1 defeat of Brittany DeFelice and Jamie Nelson at the No. 3 position, while Kewa Nichols and Macall Harkins followed at the No. 2 spot with an 8-0 blanking of Michelle Brown and Carly Van Hollen to clinch the doubles point. TCU’s Idunn Hertzberg and Katariina Tuohimaa would complete the doubles sweep with an 8-5 victory over Rebecca Berger and Corina Lazar at the top position.
Munch-Soegaard, ranked No. 67 nationally, won her sixth consecutive match to improve to 11-4 this season with a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Lazar at the top spot to begin singles play.
Tuohimaa followed with a 6-0, 6-2 win over Carly Van Hollen at the No. 3 flight to put TCU up 3-0 in the match. Tuohimaa, a freshman from Helsinki, Finland, earned her 14th win this season, which leads the Frogs.
Harkins clinched the match for TCU with a 6-0, 6-1 rout of Berger at the No. 2 position. Harkins has now won seven of her last eight singles contests.
Nichols, a senior from Austin, Texas, quickly followed with a dominant 6-0, 6-2 win over Brown at the No. 4 flight. The win was Nichols’ sixth straight this season.
The Frogs will return to action on Friday at 12 p.m. CDT in Las Vegas against No. 62 UNLV.
No. 22 TCU (13-4) def. Wyoming (10-7), 5-2
1. No. 67 Nina Munch-Soegaard (TCU) def. Corina Lazar (WYO) 6-1, 6-0
2. Macall Harkins (TCU) def. Rebecca Berger (WYO) 6-0, 6-1
3. Katariina Tuohimaa (TCU) def. Carly Van Hollen (WYO) 6-0, 6-2
4. Kewa Nichols (TCU) def. Michelle Brown (WYO) 6-0, 6-2
5. Sarah Summerfield (WYO) def. Idunn Hertzberg (TCU) 4-6, 7-6(2), 10-6
6. Brittany DeFelice (WYO) def. Melissa Beré (TCU) 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2*, 4, 6, 5
1. Hertzberg/Tuohimaa (TCU) def. Berger/Lazar (WYO) 8-5
2. Harkins/Nichols (TCU) def. Brown/Van Hollen (WYO) 8-0
3. Babanova/Munch-Soegaard (TCU) def. DeFelice/Nelson (WYO) 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2*, 1