Monday, March 16, 2009

TEXAS BOWLER BECOMES 100TH MEMBER OF 50-YEAR CLUB AT USBC OPEN CHAMPIONSHIPS

LAS VEGAS, TEXAS (March 16, 2009) When Edwin Fisher of Houston walked down Center Aisle at the 2009 United States Bowling Congress Open Championships on Sunday, he reached two milestones and solidified his place in tournament history.

Fisher's slow and emotional march was the 50th of his career, and he became the 100th member of the tournament's elite 50-Year Club.

"I had no idea I was the 100th person," said the 83-year-old right-hander, who has been bowling competitively for 69 years. "Once someone told me, I expressed my thanks for having the genes to be able to be here."

Fisher's time on the lanes began when he was 13 years old and worked as a pin boy during junior high school. He continued to bowl throughout high school, his time in the Navy and then college, and he finally made his USBC Open Championships debut at the 1957 event in Fort Worth, Texas. That year also marked the debut of underground ball returns and automatic pinsetters at the tournament. Fisher was hooked.

"It was a thrill of a lifetime," said Fisher, who has only missed three events since his debut. "Walking down that Center Aisle for the first time, I had chills down my spine. I've never experienced anything like that before."

That same feeling carried over to Cashman Center on Sunday afternoon as Fisher marched into the record books.

"This time, it was even more thrilling," said Fisher, who was on the USBC (formerly the American Bowling Congress) financial committee that approved the tournament's first electronic scoreboards. "I've been looking forward to this day. When I participated in my 20th Open, a guy received his 50-year award, and from that day, I told myself I wanted that. Now that I did it, I will treasure this forever."

Fisher has been involved in many aspects of bowling besides competing on the lanes. He has served in various capacities as a local, state and national bowling delegate for more than 30 years, including a stint on the USBC (ABC) Board of Directors.

Even with nearly seven decades of competition under his belt, Fisher has a few memories that stick out above the rest.

"I always remember when I shot my best series, which was in Des Moines, Iowa," said Fisher, referring to the 686 series he shot team in 1962. "Another memory that sticks out is when we were in Long Beach, Calif. I bowled next to Joe Norris, and after that tournament, we became friends. And of course, this day will always stick out as one of the best memories I have."

On the lanes this year, Fisher had 501 in doubles, 498 in team and 433 in singles for a 1,432 all-events total. During his tenure at the Open Championships, he has knocked down 72,204 pins for a 171.9 career average.

Making it this far was a goal, but not the end of the road for him.

"I love this tournament, and I will continue to come as long as I can," said Fisher, who is in the Houston, Texas State and Southern Bowling Congress Halls of Fame. "If I'm not able to come, I will still be active in bowling in any way I can. I'm thankful to have good genes and make it to 50 years. I'm also thankful to the USBC for recognizing me like this."

No comments: