Sunday, July 18, 2010

Dynamo-Chivas USA Battle to Tie in SuperLiga Action

(Chivas USA's Ante Jazic (6) and Houston Dynamo's Cam Weaver (15) both go for a header in the SuperLiga tie at Robertson Stadium. Photo by Darla Tamulitis-La Vita Loca Photography, Copyright 2010, All Rights Reserved)

By Robert H. Kelly
Copyright 2010 TexSport Publications

HOUSTON, TEXAS (July 18, 2010) With an overcast sky, rain in the forecast and the temperature a muggy 80 degrees, the Houston Dynamo faced off against Chivas USA in the second match for both teams of SuperLiga 2010 on Sunday evening at the University of Houston’s Robertson Stadium.

Houston was coming off a 2-1 win over Pachuca CF on Thursday night at home, while Chivas fell to Puebla FC 2-1 at the Home Depot Center.

Both teams battled for supremacy in an attempt to advance to the second round, but the best each team could do was settle for a 1-1 tie.

The Dynamo struck first on an unassisted shot from the top of the box by midfielder Lovel Palmer in the 6th minute.

Spirited play and a reckless tackle by Dynamo defender Andrew Hainault in the 18th minute resulted in the match’s first yellow card.

Teammate Eddie Robinson picked up the Dynamo’s second yellow card of the match for a technical foul in the 35th minute while attempting to defend a Chivas USA attack in front of the Dynamo goal.

In the 45th minute, Dynamo forward Corey Ashe got the ball at midfield and began solid run towards Chivas’s goal; passing off to forward Cam Weaver in the final scoring attempt of the 1st half. Chivas USA goalkeeper Dan Kennedy got a hand on it before it found the goal, to keep the score at 1-0 at the half.

Chivas USA received their first yellow card of the match when defender Michael Umana got a bit reckless on a tackle in the 41st minute.

The second half saw Chivas USA substitute Osael Romero for Marcelo Saragosa in an obvious attempt to close down the Dynamo attack from the middle.

Palmer make a daring right footed attempt at the goal in the 49th minute to try to increase Houston’s lead, but a quick body block and catch by Kennedy foiled the attempt.

In the 57th minute, Houston substituted midfielder Danny Cruz for Brad Davis. Cruz was given a rousing round of cheers by the Dynamo fans, the Batallon, and the Texian Army as he left the field.

Ashe made another spirited run at the goal in the 65th minute, receiving that ball at the left side, about 15 yards out. He sailed a shot across the bow of the goal, barely missing the net by the width of the ball.

Chivas finally got on the scoreboard in the 71st minute when a corner kick by midfielder Rodolfo Espinoza was headed by midfielder Jesus Padilla right past the outstretched arms of Dynamo goalkeeper Tally Hall.

The Dynamo quickly came back with two shots from 12-yard out in the 73rd and the 75th minute. Neither shot found it way into the goal to keep the score even.

Chivas substituted midfielder Ben Zemanski for Blair Gavin and came back one minute later with another substitution; defender Mariano Trujillo for Carlos Borja.

Dynamo defender Adrian Serioux went down at midfield in the 83rd minute, grasping his left leg in pain. He was quickly pulled from the game and replace with Richard Mulrooney.

After four minutes of stoppage time, the score remained at a one-all tie.

The Dynamo are now 1-1-0 (4 points) after two games of Group A of SuperLiga 2010. Chivas USA is 0-1-1 (1 point). Houston will face Puebla FC at 7:00pm Wednesday, July 21 for their final game of the first round. Chivas USA will face Pachuca CF at the Home Depot Center at 7:30pm (PST), also on Wednesday.

No comments: