HOUSTON, TEXAS (August 28, 2011) In an effort to help fans enjoy gameday to the fullest, the University of Houston Department of Intercollegiate Athletics has taken numerous steps to beat the heat at the Sept. 3 contest vs. UCLA.
"It is extremely important to this athletic department to provide a safe and enjoyable environment for our fans," UH Director of Athletics Mack Rhoades. "We want anyone who visits Robertson Stadium to feel appreciated for spending their day with the Cougars."
What UH will Provide
• For the UCLA game only, fans will have the ability to bring in an unopened, clear plastic bottle of water, one per person.
• The UH Department of Intercollegiate Athletics will be handing out "Buy One, Get One Free" coupons for cold water upon ticketed entry to Robertson Stadium.
• UH Dining Services will have three times the amount of water product normally sold as well as dedicated water stations to service patrons.
• Water misting cooling zones will be stationed in the four corners of the Stadium underneath the concourses inside Gates 1, 7, 8, 14.
• UH Dining Services will sell cups of ice for $1 from beverage-only concession stations.
• UH Dining Services will provide complimentary water at the student entrance, while supplies last.
• A guest assist text service is available for fans who feel faint or ill in their seats. Personnel will assist in getting fans to the treatment areas. Text "UH" and message to 78247.
Tips to Beat the Heat
1. Stay Hydrated with water and sports drinks.
2. Avoid drinks containing alcohol or caffeine
3. Dress in light-weight, loose-fitting clothing
4. Eat small meals of carbohydrates, salads and fruit, and eat more often
5. Utilize cold or ice towels
6. Apply a liberal amount of sunscreen
7. Notify emergency personnel at the first sign of heat-induced symptoms.
* UH will have on-site medical personnel to assist with any heat-related cases.