Sunday, March 05, 2017

Torres first Dynamo goal leads Houston to a 2-1 win in 2017 season opener

Erick Torres (9)
Photo by Darla Tamulitis
La Vita Loca Photography
Copyright 2017 All Rights Reserved
By Lou Roesch
Special Correspondent 
Copyright 2017 All Rights Reserved


HOUSTON, TEXAS (March 5, 2017) What a difference a year makes.The Houston Dynamo could not have started the 2017 season any better on Saturday night at BBVA Compass Stadium. Erick Torres scored, newcomer Romell Quito scored in his first MLS start and appearance the reworked Houston Dynamo defense stood strong all night. Just four days earlier head coach Wilmer Cabrera told the assembled media that it would be one step at a time and that Seattle was that first step. The 2-1 win over the defending MLS Cup champion sent a crowd of 20,000 plus home and enthusiastic about the season to come.

Torres’ first goal as a Houston Dynamo in the 20th minute was just the beginning of the fireworks at BBVA Compass Stadium. Signed two seasons ago, Torres had never really lived up to the expectations heaped upon him. Now under the tutelage of a head coach who believes in him and coached him to a 15 goal season with Chivas USA in 2014, “Cubo” was as fresh at the end of his more than 90 minutes on the pitch as he was in the beginning of the match. The 24 year old earlier in the week predicted a 20 goal season smiled and terrorized the Sounders defense. The most fit and happiest since he joined the Dynamo, Torres not only scored the opening goal but tied for the team lead in shots with four.

“Happy, happy for these three points, for the team and that I was able to score my first goal. I really wanted to celebrate; I really wanted to score my first goal. Thank God it was possible and we got the three points,” said Torres following the match. “It was very important for me to be able to score. To be honest, I released a lot of the pressure I had for scoring, but those are soccer things. I always take that pressure as a professional. I knew that the fans are expecting things from me; that’s just a reality. The front office and the owners of this club are expecting many things from me as well. I take everything as it comes, I trust my qualities. I know what I am capable of doing. Now that I was able to score, I feel much better, I feel much more confident to keep working during the week and go for all other ones that will come this season.”

Romell Quioto (12)
Photo by Darla Tamulitis
La Vita Loca Photography
Copyright 2017 All Rights Reserved
The goal came on a free kick giving Torres his 23 career MLS goal, the most by a Mexican born player. As the kick from 20 yards out rippled the nets, the Dynamo forward flashed a smile fans may become very used to this season as he raced towards the crowd in celebration of a great weight that had been removed. As any great scorer will tell you, a goal of that magnitude is about vision and execution.

“That’s something that people haven’t seen me do a lot, continued Torres, but I try to practice them as well. I try to analyze what my teammates do on free kicks. I saw it was an area where I have seen my ex-teammates in Mexico, (defender) Raul Lopez, who usually goes to that area and seeks the goalies post. I remembered that it always works for him. I decided to take the ball. I talked with (FW Romell) Quioto and (FW) Alberth Elis about blocking the keeper’s vision. That’s how it went.”

Torres playing in his 52nd MLS game was one of Dynamo vice-president Matt Jordan’s first signings. At that time, Jordan remarked that the Mexican international was one of the most intelligent and dynamic young attackers in MLS and COCNCACAF. After the first 20 minutes, he had to be smiling on the inside after watching number 9 bend a low arcing shot past Sounders keeper Stefan Frei as he nervously paced the president’s club concourse. 

Houston and Torres faced the Columbus Crew next Saturday in the second step of a 34 step season. Kick-off is set for 7:30p.m. CDT.


No comments: