Saturday, June 27, 2020

HBU's Christopher Welch named to All-America Team

Photo courtesy of HBU Athletic Media Relations Department
By Jennifer Edwards
Copyright 2020 All Rights Reserved

HOUSTON, TEXAS (June 27, 2020) A shortened indoor track season could not stop Dickinson native, Christopher Welch (shown right) from excelling in the  triple jump. Welch set an Houston Baptist University record by jumping 15.64 meters or 51 feet and 3.75 inches at the Texas A&M Invitational. He continued his winning ways by completing a 15.94 meter jump. In total, Welch has broken the school record seven times. 

This sophomore standout is used to the spotlight and incredibly humble when it comes to his talent. Welch stood out on the Dickinson Gator football team as an all-district kicker and wide receiver. Once football season was over, his focus turned quickly to track and field where he excelled. In addition to the accolades he has already racked up, Christopher received the NCAA All-American in the triple jump, as well as a silver medal in Southland Conference Indoor Championships and became the first HBU indoor championship qualifier. 

Welch is incredibly humble when it comes to where he gets his talent from. He says, “When I got the confirmation that I was an All-American I was very thankful, because I’ve always known that it was going to happen and it was what I prayed for when I first got to college.” Welch hopes to continue his winning ways at HBU in the future when the university is able to safely bring athletes back. He also says,” Just knowing that God’s promise to me was fulfilled it gave me the motivation, so that next year I would not only be an All-American, but also become a National Champion.” This young man will be one to watch in the future

No comments: